Tuesday 5 April 2011

Chris Port Blog #169. Superman Versus The Uberbabes (Scene 12 of 17) Two months later: The Monster of Consumerism appears.

Superman Versus The Uberbabes
© Chris Port, 2000
 A Youth Theatre 'Play In A Day'

This little playlet was written VERY quickly (first and only draft) for a ‘play in a day’ at a youth theatre with LOTS of kids! It’s (hopefully) fun and silly, with a slightly more adult message underneath...

*        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *

SCENES ONE THROUGH TO SEVENTEEN

















*        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *        *

SCENE TWELVE
Two months later: The Monster of Consumerism appears.

CAST
Clark Essex; Lois Vain; Drunk; Street People Groups 1-4.

[Street life. Enter LOIS, looking for CLARK. Enter CLARK].

LOIS
Clark! Where have you been? Last time I spoke to you, you said you were going to the bathroom. And that was two months ago!

CLARK
Uh. Sorry Lois. I had to visit my silver-haired mother in Smallville.

LOIS
What? For another recipe?

CLARK
Uh. Kind of, Lois. The recipe for happiness, I suppose.

LOIS
No secret there, Clark. Money in the bank and everything else on tap.

CLARK
Uh, yes, Lois. I guess you’re right.

LOIS
You’re damned right I’m right.

CLARK
So. Did I miss much?

LOIS
I’ll say. Your cards for a start. Our new owners fired all the guys for being stupid and weak. Apart from the ones that look cute in tight jeans.

CLARK
Anything else?

LOIS
Yeah. Something weird is happening on the streets. People keep... disappearing...

CLARK
Uh, disappearing?

LOIS
Yeah. And something else keeps appearing.

CLARK
Uh, appearing?

LOIS
Hey, cut out the echo, Clark. I work for the Distortion now.

CLARK
Uh, what keeps appearing, Lois?

LOIS
It’s weird. It’s like people are getting sucked into this creature.

CLARK
Uh, a creature? Like, uh, a monster of consumerism?

LOIS
Yeah... I guess you could call it that. How did you know?

CLARK
It figures.

LOIS
I don’t know if this is creepy or what, Clark. But I guess it is a monster. You’d better let Superman know.

CLARK
Uh, I’ll do that Lois. But I hear that he’s kind of busy these days. He’s going to be on The Jerry Sinner Show tonight.

LOIS
[Squealing with delight]. Oh The Jerry Sinner Show?! Oh my God. That’s just so fantastic!

CLARK
Uh, yes Lois. We all need our moment of fame, I guess. I’ve got to go now. Catch you later.

LOIS
Hey, Clark? You OK?

CLARK
Sure, Lois. Maybe I’ll see you down the Meat Market.

[CLARK exits].

LOIS
[To herself]. Clark, you are weird.

[LOIS exits].

[Street life. A drunk enters and settles in the gutter. Gradually, people start to get sucked into the Monster of Consumerism. The drunk watches].

DRUNK
Whatever happened to Pink Elephants?

[Exit].

No comments:

Post a Comment