Saturday 16 April 2011

Chris Port Blog #187. 'The Party' Scene 3. Brenda and Louise in the garden about Dan.

© Chris Port, 1994. All rights reserved.

Scene 3.
Narrator, the Company, Louise, Brenda.
Brenda and Louise in the garden about Dan.

NARRATOR
I’m sorry. I had to stop it there. It’s just too painful to watch. Even houses get bored sometimes. If you were watching this in real time you’d have another hour of bum-squirming to sit through. I’m going to be merciful now and wind the clock forward to ten o’clock. If the guests would like to take their places?

(The guests enter. Music, dancing etc. Enter Brenda. She goes over to talk to Mark Fowler who has been left on his own. Louise sees her and calls her out into the garden).

LOUISE
Brenda! Over here! In the garden!

(Louise and Brenda go out into the garden).

BRENDA
I stopped off at Dan’s to see if he wanted to come.

LOUISE
Well?

BRENDA
He’s just lying in his bedroom in the dark. I think he’s been drinking.

LOUISE
Did he say what they’ve argued about?

BRENDA
Not really. I think he’s just sulking. You know what men are like.

LOUISE
Do you think he’ll come?

BRENDA
I don’t know. He said he would if Monica wanted him to. But she won’t, will she? You know what those two can be like.

LOUISE
Relationships! No-one should ever go out with anyone longer than one night. Its downhill from then on. Monny’ll sulk all night. She’ll start telling people to turn the music down and spoil everything.

BRENDA
But if Dan comes here drunk they’ll just have another argument.

LOUISE
No they won’t. They’ll go upstairs and make up. (Scheming). Tell him ... tell him that Monny’s upset.

BRENDA
Alright. I’ll try to get him over. Is Mark alright?

LOUISE
Yes. He’s fine. Well, as fine as he’s ever going to be. Why do you mother-hen him so much anyway?

BRENDA
Somebody’s got to. Keep an eye on him ‘til I get back. I’ll see you later.

LOUISE
With Dan. Or we’re screwed.

BRENDA
I’ll do my best. (Exits).

No comments:

Post a Comment