Thursday 9 June 2011

Chris Port Blog #269. What's the silliest thing you've done at work (and did you have Free Will when you did it)?

© Chris Port, June 2011

I posted the following anecdotes on Geoff Lloyd's Hometime Show Facebook page on 27th May 2011 in response to the following proposition: 

"I made an idiot of myself earlier. I slid down the corridor thinking my shoes were smooth enough to do so. Fell over. Hurt my knees :( What's the silliest thing you've done at work?"


"I stood on top of my office desk, drunk out of my mind, blowing up a condom (it was my 21st birthday, and we'd just got back from 'a few lunchtime drinks'). The Chief Executive walked in, paused in dynamic mid-stride, and politely asked me what I thought I was doing. I thought this question was a bit silly, so I frowned at him. "Blowing up a balloon. It's my birthday" I said, with emphasized clarity of speech. He nodded and strode dynamically away, and the incident was never mentioned again..." 

"We also used to rig fiendish booby traps with Christmas decorations that made the Viet Cong look like bumbling amateurs. These involved complicated pulley systems consisting of white cotton thread run through paper clips cellotaped to the ceiling. You could drop a bauble on a man's head with pinpoint accuracy from 30 feet away. Some of the more ingenious ones involved a 'jerk trigger' which could swing the bauble down sideways for a thwack in the face."

I make no judgments about Free Will here. You be the judge...

No comments:

Post a Comment