Friday 22 April 2011

Chris Port Blog #238. The Snow Queen (Scene 15: A Heart Melts)

© Chris Port, 2004

SCENE: 15
CHARACTERS: GERDA, KAY
ACTION: A HEART MELTS.

ENTER GERDA. SHE SEES KAY.

GERDA
Kay!
THERE IS NO RESPONSE FROM KAY. SHE RUNS UP TO HIM AND FLINGS HER ARMS AROUND HIM.
Oh Kay! My dear little Kay. I’ve found you at last!
KAY IGNORES HER, PONDERING HIS PUZZLE.
Oh Kay. We’ve wasted so much time.
Would that we had
Our summers again
We would kiss those years away
As an angel smiles through rain.

KAY
DULLY.
Would that you had not wasted…
Now done. Now wise with pain.
But what use is all life’s wisdom
If each summer never comes again?

GERDA
Oh Kay! Does my love mean nothing to you at all?
SHE HUGS KAY AND BEGINS TO WEEP HOT TEARS OVER HIM.

KAY
Would that a maiden’s tears
Could move me back to pain,
This frozen heart would pierce…
… And crack… and I would love again.
GERDA’S TEARS PENETRATE KAY’S HEART.
My heart… It seems to be… melting…
KAY’S HEART MELTS. IT WASHES AWAY THE PIECE OF GLASS STUCK THERE. HE REMEMBERS THEIR CHILDHOOD RHYME.
Roses bloom and cease to be, But we shall the Christ-child see.
Oh Gerda!
HE BEGINS TO CRY. THE SPLINTER OF GLASS SWIMS OUT OF HIS EYE.
What’s this? A piece of glass? Oh, how different the world looks! How different you look!
HE RECOGNIZES GERDA.
Gerda. Dear Gerda. Where have you been all this time? Where have I been?
HE LOOKS AROUND.
How empty this place seems to me now. How icy in its certainty. How desolate in its logic. What is being clever compared with being kind? I’ve been a fool.

KAY AND GERDA HUG. GERDA LOOKS AT THE ICE-SHAPES ON THE GROUND.

GERDA       
Look, Kay! The pieces of ice are so tired they’ve gone to sleep. Look at the word they’ve spelt out.

KAY
READING THE SHAPES.
‘Eternity’. And now I know what that means.
Life is loathe to be true or pure
But love is both for love endures.
I love you, Gerda. And I’m sorry for all the pain I’ve caused you.

GERDA
So what’s the moral of this tale?

KAY
That plots of evil always fail.

GERDA
And don’t let mirrors get you down.

KAY
It’s what’s inside that really counts.

GERDA
For even on the darkest day.

KAY
The deepest love will find a way.

KAY AND GERDA HOLD HANDS AND LEAVE THE PALACE OF ICE. 

GERDA
Look. The sun is coming out. What a long time we’ve been away. Do you think we’ve grown-up yet?

KAY
Not a chance! We’re only thirteen. And if you tell anyone I said I love you, then I shall put frogs and grass-snakes in your bed!

GERDA
SHY AND COQUETTISH.
Well, what shall we do now, then?
SHE PLACES HER HANDS BEHIND HER BACK, STANDS ON TIP-TOE AND PUCKERS UP FOR A KISS.

KAY
Play!
HE SHOVES HER.
You’re it!
HE RUNS OFF LAUGHING.

GERDA
Oh well. Give it a few years. Time to play! Good-bye everyone!
SHE WAVES AT THE AUDIENCE AND RUNS OFF AFTER KAY.

THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment