Saturday 16 April 2011

Chris Port Blog #191. 'The Party' Scene 7. The girls look after the Depressive.

© Chris Port, 1994. All rights reserved.

Scene 7.
Narrator, Depressive, Caring 1, Caring 2.
The girls look after the Depressive.

NARRATOR
Lets find one more drunk, shall we? I know. The drunk depressive.

(Depressive is sitting on the garden patio step with his head in his hands. Caring 1 and Caring 2 come out to find him and sit with him).

CARING 1
What’s wrong?

DEPRESSIVE
Nothing.

CARING 2
Why are you sitting on your own out here? Come on. Come and have a dance with us.

DEPRESSIVE
I don’t feel like dancing.

CARING 1
You don’t have to dance. Just come over and talk with us.

DEPRESSIVE
I don’t feel like talking.

CARING 2
Why? What’s wrong?

DEPRESSIVE
Nothing.

CARING 1
Look. There must be something wrong if you want to be out here on your own. We’re your friends. We want to help. Don’t shut us out. Come on. Tell us what’s wrong.

DEPRESSIVE
I can’t talk to girls.

CARING 2
Don’t be stupid. If you can talk to us you can talk to other girls. There’s no difference.

DEPRESSIVE
Yes there is. I don’t fancy you.

CARING 1
Just be yourself.

DEPRESSIVE
They won’t like me if I’m myself.

CARING 2
Of course they will. I mean, not every girl will fancy you but that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with you. Just be happy and be yourself and you’ll meet someone without even realizing it. But you won’t meet anyone if you’re sulking out here on your own now, will you?

DEPRESSIVE
I don’t want to meet anyone. They’re all false anyway.

CARING 1
People are just people. They’re different. You can’t expect to like everyone you meet. And you can’t expect everyone you meet to like you. And you certainly can’t expect anyone to like you if you won’t even talk to them now, can you?

DEPRESSIVE
I want another drink.

CARING 2
Now that’s not going to help now, is it? You’re drunk enough as it is and it hasn’t made you any happier, has it? It’ll just make you more miserable. Now come and stand with us. (She takes Depressive by the hand). You don’t even have to dance or talk. Just be with us. (They lead Depressive over to the group who greet him like a lost friend).

NARRATOR
Now if it had been up to me, I’d have just left him there. There’s nothing worse than a drunk feeling sorry for himself. Still, I suppose some people really do care.

No comments:

Post a Comment